Friday, January 4, 2008

The Simple Life

When Kevin and I had our first child, a good friend of mine, Jennifer, gave us a book called “Simplify Your Life with Kids”. I remember this book being chock full of good tips on how to minimize complications by minimizing possessions and various other ideas on keeping your life simple. The book is now missing- likely hiding amongst all the stuff, things and clutter that has accumulated in our house over the past 12 years.

This idea of simple is quite popular these days. From the magazine REAL SIMPLE, to the new book “The Simple Home” by our colleague Sarah (Sally) Nettleton.
http://www.sarah-architects.com/simple-home/about-the-book.html
Sally’s concept of the simple home is not about a style, but rather about a personal approach. It’s about being discovering your own “simple” and designing your home to be true to that vision. The design of your home should be flexible, thrifty, sustainable and timeless.

I love the idea of simple, unadorned, modern, clean home. In my mind, our new home will be entirely clutterless. (Listen for the sound of Kevin laughing out loud.) No knick-knacks, bric-a-brac or any other objects worthy of such peculiar & bizarre names. We will have designed in systems to keep the clutter at bay and can relax every day in this clean, comforting, simple environment.

Okay, this is not exactly the way we live now. This is what our kitchen countertop usually looks like. I’m not saying good design can solve all of our problems, but a good purging, thoughtful storage and a commitment to simplifying things should go a long way to creating a more calming environment. We hope.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your photo looks like it's just full of "life clutter" though... I don't really see anything that qualifies for an odd name. :) I think that good planning and constant editing is the only way to really achieve the simple style. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Anonymous said...

I have come to the conclusion that my mind is too messy to deserve to live in a clean and simple room like the one you pictured. My mind is like Donald Duck's mind in "Donald in Mathmagic Land": messy cobwebbed file cabinets, cluttered with outmoded ideas, supersitions, and bad habits.

Kevin & Roxanne said...

I'm feeling much better now that our house is 2 Goodwill van loads lighter. I estimate that we will making the Goodwill trek weekly until we move. Not exactly the right time of year for a garage sale and I don't have the patience for one either.